Stiftung Universität Hildesheim
Bildung – Kultur – Diversität – Digitalisierung
The Faculty 2: Cultural Studies and Aesthetic Communication invites applications for a
Junior Professorship (W 1):
with Tenure Track (W 2)
at the Department for Music and Musicology. The position is open from October 2020.
This professorship is one of five professorships the Stiftung Universität Hildesheim has been granted by the Tenure Track Programme of the German Federal Government and the Federal States. It specifically targets researchers at an early stage in their academic career.
The holder of the position should represent the field of ethnomusicology, and should employ perspectives and approaches in cultural science/arts and humanities, and social and cultural anthropology in research and teaching.
- Research in the fields of digitization and digitality from an ethnomusicological perspective (engagement with e.g. digital sound archives, digital data management, digital teaching/mediation formats)
- Intensive collaboration with the Center for World Music in a research as well as a community service capacity. As such, the ability to relate to the main areas of work at the center (music and conflict, cultural heritage, educational integration, exhibition design) is expected
- Cooperation with the Center for Digital Change at the University of Hildesheim
- Involvement in engaged ethnomusicology as part of a practice-oriented mediation concept
- Participation in the research activities of Faculty 2 and the Herder Kolleg – Center for Transdisciplinary Cultural Research
- Teaching in the cultural studies degree programs of Faculty 2 as well as in the teaching degree programs
- Participation in furthering curriculum development
The successful candidate will teach in both German and English. Candidates who are not sufficiently fluent in German will initially be assigned to teach in English but should be willing to acquire the skills necessary to lecture in German within three years.
- A high level of proficiency in in-depth independent academic work, supported by an outstanding doctoral degree in the field of ethnomusicology. A focus in one of the mentioned fields of research is desirable
- Pedagogical aptitude
- Willingness to further develop necessary social and leadership skills
- Experience in interdisciplinary and international collaboration
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English as a contribution to the internationalization of research and teaching in Faculty 2
- Experience in the acquisition of third-party funds is desirable
- Experience in higher education is desirable
The requirements for employment listed in § 30 of the Niedersächsisches Hochschulgesetz (University Law of the State of Lower Saxony) apply. In the third year of employment, an interim evaluation is made. This serves as the basis for the decision as to whether an extension for a further three years will be granted to the candidate. A final evaluation is held no later than the sixth year of employment. Dependent on the results, a decision will be reached as to whether the candidate will be given tenure at W 2 level. The tenure procedures are regulated in the Ordnung zur Gewährung einer Professur auf Lebenszeit im Tenure-Track Verfahren an der Universität Hildesheim.
The Stiftung Universität Hildesheim‘s human resources policy is based on the principles of equal opportunity and diversity. The university is committed to the goal of creating a family-friendly university. Applications of women for the position advertised are actively encouraged.
Positive action applies for candidates with disabilities when holding the necessary qualifications. Applications from qualified candidates with a certified severe disability are particularly welcome.
For further information, please contact the Dean of the Faculty 2, Prof. Dr. Stefan Krankenhagen, Phone +49 5121 883 20740, e-mail: krankenh(at)uni-hildesheim.de.
As per application procedures, personal data will be saved and processed.
Written applications containing the relevant documents (cover letter, curriculum vitae, certificates, list of courses taught, list of publications, concept paper about research and teaching, list of grants as well as short descriptions of completed projects) are to be submitted no later than 31.01.2020 with the reference number 2020/11 to the President of the Stiftung Universität Hildesheim, Dezernat für Personal- und Rechtsangelegenheiten, Universitätsplatz 1, 31141 Hildesheim, Germany. Please send an additional PDF (< 5 MB) with your application via email to dekanat2(at)uni-hildesheim.de.