- Universität Hildesheim ›
- Sprach- und Informationswiss. ›
- Institute ›
- Institut für Informationswiss. & Sprachtechnologie ›
- Veranstaltungen ›
- IWiST/KISTI-Workshop 2013
Within the last year the Institute for Information Science and Natural Language Processing (IWiST) of the University of Hildesheim and the Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information (KISTI) initiated a scientific visiting program. In this context the Korean researchers, Dr. Song Sa-Kwang and Dr. Gim Jangwon, from the Department of Computer Intelligence Research of KISTI visited the IWiST for the past six weeks in order to continue this fruitful scientific cooperation.
As a part of their visiting program the IWiST organized a joint workshop on November the 6th 2013 at the Bühler-Campus of the University of Hildesheim. This meeting provided the opportunity to present current projects and discuss future research directions. In the first session of the day the talks centered on text mining and patent retrieval. In this context Prof. Dr. Thomas Mandl presented a new research project about the application of text and opinion mining algorithms to historical texts. The next two presentations were concerned with patent retrieval and mining. Julia Maria Struß discussed the prospects of trend mininig within the scope of the patent domain. Julia Jürgens presented new ideas to make query formulation and result set examination in patent retrieval more efficient via visualization techniques.
Information interaction formed another focus of the meeting. Ben Heuwing discussed a method for the conceptual evaluation of an interactive search system for usability data. Nadine Mahrholz's talk contained an overview about ways to analyze the information behavior in education-related contexts. In addition, Stefanie Elbeshausen introduced the topic of collaborative searching and discussed the question how teams organize during collaborative search tasks. In Katrin Werner's presentation a new approach to use log file data together with hierachical information about a website in order to identify usability problems was proposed.
Dr. Folker Caroli and Fritz Kliche gave an overview ofr several projects of the computational linguistics group. In particular, the project e-Identity, which aims to support political scientists with text analysis and the project SeLA, which deals with the design of new kinds of lexical information tools, were presented. Afterwards Dr. Josef Ruppenhofer discussed prospects and advantages of frame-semantics based sentiment analysis.
The presentations of the local IWiST projects were followed by the keynote of Dr. Song Sa-Kwang. In his presentation he discussed the implementation of the InSciTe system, which combines text mining and semantic web tools with big data analytics in order to predict technological developments. Dr. Gim Jangwon then gave a compelling live demonstration of the InSciTe system.
The workshop provided a good opportunity to present current research projects, to identify common research interests between KISTI and IWiST and served as a starting point for future joint projects.
- Introduction Text Mining in historical text books: A new project on information behavior in the humanities (Thomas Mandl - IWiST)
- Text Mining for Patents (Julia Maria Struß - IWiST)
- Visualization of Interactive Patent Systems (Julia Jürgens - IWiST)
- Conceptual Evaluation of a Complex Interactive Retrieval Interface for Usability Information (Ben Heuwing - IWiST)
- Natural Language Processing research at IwiSt: A technology-oriented overview (Folker Caroli & Fritz Kliche - IWiST)
- Toward fine-grained frame-based sentiment analysis (Josef Ruppenhofer - IWiST)
- Education-Related Information Behavior and Seeking on the Internet (Nadine Mahrholz - IWiST)
- Usability Optimization based on Log File Analysis and Web Monitoring (Thomas Mandl & Katrin Werner - IWiST)
- User Heterogenity in Collaborative Information Seeking - Presentation of a Dissertational Project (Stefanie Elbeshausen - IWiST)
- InSciTe System based on Bigdata Analysis (Song Sa-Kwang - KISTI)