Want to find out more about studying at Kutztown University for a semester?

Come join an informal, online Q&A session:Wednesday at 10:30, 15 December 2021

Dr James McKenzie is inviting you to a Zoom meeting:


Meeting ID: 942 2448 0902

Password: 849688


Stay abroad and application for the Master`s degree programmes during Corona:

Regarding the application for the Master's degree programmes "Lehramt an Grundschulen" and "Lehramt an Haupt- und Realschulen" in the summer semester 2021 and the winter semester 2021/22, please note that certification of the required stay abroad is not needed when you apply for the programme.

The certification has to be provided during the course of your master's study programme, at the very latest together with your application for the Master's thesis.

Please also note that for the application process for both aforementioned Master's degree programmes in the summer semester 2021 and the winter semester 2021/22, the certification of the application for the Bachelor's thesis as prerequisite for applying to the Master's programmes is no longer required.


For any questions or documents concerning your stay abroad please contact

- Dr. Janet McLaughlin (A - M) or

- Dr. Cirsten Carlson (N - Z)

during their office hours or by appointment.

It is part of the Zulassungsvoraussetzungen for the M.Ed. in the English Department to have spent at least 3 months in an English-speaking country. Please consider the following points:

         o   the stay lasted at least three uninterrupted calendar months/90 days (e.g. 2 months in the UK;

              2 weeks in the USA; and three weeks in Ireland would not count)

         o   the stay took place in an English-speaking country (check list below)

         o   the stay was not of a purely touristic nature, that is, there was some work- or studies related purpose

        o   countries in which English is the official language or the language predominantly used in everyday interaction, i.e. the ‘main language’
            (e.g., UK, USA, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia)

        o   countries in which English is de jure or de facto an official language (e.g., post-colonial countries like Singapore, India, South Africa,
             Ghana, the Philippines etc.), if you study at an English-language university

        o   the Scandinavian countries, if you take part in an Erasmus exchange

We do not accept stays in the Netherlands. Exceptions can be made in rare cases. For these, you have to get permission beforehand. If in any doubt about a country, please ask the relevant people.

       o   travel documents (flight tickets, train tickets, any stamps in passport etc.) AND

       o   a hard copy of a letter from any employer (whether work is voluntary or not) stating the date the work started and finished and a brief
           description of work carried out OR

       o   any certificates, diplomas etc. you have from this time abroad