Studying abroad

Partner universities

To answer this question, the first thing you should do is take a look at the partner university lists for your particular degree program.

In a second step, you should use the testimonials, Learnweb and other sources to find out more about the universities you are interested in.

You can find a list of possible sources of information here.


The application for an exchange place (whether within Europe or outside) is done through our online form.

There are two application deadlines per year:

January 15 for semesters abroad in the following winter semester and

June 15 for semesters abroad in the following summer semester.

If you have missed these deadlines, it is still worth taking a look at our application page, because remaining places are often allocated even a few weeks after the allocation of places (early February and early July)!



A word about funding: If you apply via Erasmus+, the confirmation of your place is automatically accompanied by the confirmation of the Erasmus+ mobility grant. The amount of this grant depends on the country, information on this can be found here.

Students who go abroad with a child can apply for special funding within the framework of Erasmus+ on the one hand and apply for additional support from the University of Hildesheim on the other. You can find more information here.

Outside of Erasmus+ (for overseas partner universities) you can apply for Promos after you have been awarded a place.

In both cases you can additionally apply for Auslandsbafög.

Semester abroad at a university that is not a partner

A semester abroad is also possible outside of the existing exchange places, but you must plan more time for the organization and such self-organized study stays are usually more expensive, because, for example, tuition fees are incurred at the foreign university. In the following, we will give you some tips on what you should consider for such a self-organized study visit.

You can also download these tips as an information sheet.