The introductory week

At the beginning of the semester, we offer our exchange students a variety of events designed to make their first days in Hildesheim easier.

The introductory week kicks off with a welcome breakfast. In the days which follow, there are various informative events in the course of which we help you to sort out the necessary red tape. These include the following:


To become a student at the University of Hildesheim, you have to enrol. For this purpose we will send you an enrolment application which you have to fill in a sign. You are also expected to provide proof of health insurance and pay the enrolment fee.
It is best to pay this money directly into the branch of the Stadtsparkasse next to the university in cash or transfer the money from your bank account. The enrolment fee is not a tuition fee but a charge covering student services and the cost of the "Semesterticket" allowing you to use buses and trains free of charge. Make sure you get a receipt from the bank as you will have to hand it in along with the enrolment form.
Please hand in all your documents (enrolment application with your signature, a copy of your health insurance certificate and the receipt of payment of the enrolment fee) to the International Office. After a few days, you can collect your student ID card (including the "Semesterticket") from the International Office.

Health insurance

To study at a German university, it is absolutely necessary for you to present valid proof that you have health insurance. If you are covered under EU regulations, please make sure you bring your international health insurance card (or your E111 or E128 form) with you. If you can provide proof of this kind, you have sufficient health insurance in Germany.

If you come from a country which is not part of the EU social insurance agreement, you should have a German statutory health insurance. We are ready to help you to take out insurance at a local health insurance company such as the AOK. The monthly insurance sum is about € 80.

Paying your rent

If you are staying in one of the halls of residence, you will (usually) receive a rental agreement from us along with the information letter, which you must sign and return to us. Please do not transfer your first month’s rent from home, though! We will take care of all that once you get here.
Students in private accommodation should arrange with the person subletting the flat when and to whom you have to pay the rent and the deposit.
In Germany it is customary to pay a deposit as security for the landlord when you pay the first rent. This is usually one month‘s rent. All students staying at the halls of residence have to pay this deposit. If you leave the room in good condition when you move out, the deposit will be returned to you in full.

Registering with the authorities

You will be registered with the Hildesheim authorities during the introductory week along with the enrolment formalities.

Other events taking place during the introductory week

  • Welcome breakfast
  • University rally
  • Guided tour of the library
  • Introduction to the Computer Centre (computer access)
  • Guided tour of Hildesheim
  • Intensive course in German