International Bachelor and Master Students

Registration for digital office hours for prospective students




Here you can find important information for international prospective students.

Your Contact Persons

Support to international Bachelor students

Anna-Maria Pulm



Telephone: +49 5121 883 92012
Fax: +49 52121 883 92013
email contact form
Room: N 252 - Forum - Hauptcampus
Consultation time: Sprechstunde: Di und Do 10-12 Uhr (digital in BBB oder in Präsenz) - Nur nach Anmeldung in der Learnwebgruppe "Incomings"

Support to international Master students

Steffi Dannenberg

Foto Steffi Albrecht


Telephone: 05121 883 92010
Fax: 05121 883 92011
email contact form
Room: N 247 - Forum - Hauptcampus
Consultation time: Anmeldung für die Sprechstunde (digital oder in präsenz) ist in der Learnwebgruppe "Incomings" möglich.

Counselling for international applicants

Every Tuesday, the International Office offers a digital consultation about studying in Hildesheim for international full-time students.

If you would like to participate as an external interested party, please register using our registration form.


Admission Requirements

University Entrance Qualification

Anyone wishing to study at the University of Hildesheim needs a so-called higher education entrance qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung / HZB). This is a school-leaving certificate or a university degree that qualifies you to study at a university.

You can check your school-leaving certificate or university degree in the Anabin or the uni assist database.

Further information on this topic can be found on the DAAD website.

Your school-leaving certificate or university degree is not recognised? Find out more about the Studienkolleg in the next section. Also find out more about alternative university admission at the University of Hildesheim.

University Entrance exam and "Studienkolleg"

Applicants* with indirect university entrance qualification (HZB), who first have to attend the Studienkolleg, can only be registered for the entrance test for SoSe 2021 at the earliest!

You do not have a direct university entrance qualification (HZB)?

After completing one preparatory year at the Niedersächsisches Studienkolleg in Hanover, you can take the University Entrance Exam (Feststellungsprüfung). The Studienkolleg offers subject-specific preparatory classes and German courses and prepares you for the University Entrance Exam.

How do I apply for the Studienkolleg?
Apply for a program of your choice at the University of Hildesheim via uni assist. The only difference is the proof of German language skills: You need at least a B1 CEFR German certficate, e.g. telc B1 or Goethe B1 certificate. Then, uni assist checks your HZB. If you do not have a direct HZB, the University of Hildesheim will register you for the entry exam at the Studienkolleg. You will receive an invitation for the entry exam by e-mail or post.

Should I prepare for the entry exam?
In order to have a good chance of getting a place at the Studienkolleg, you should prepare for the entry exam. Information on the procedure and a sample test can be found here.

What happens next?
Once you have passed the entry exam, you will attend an appropriate course depending on your course of study: M-course, T-course, W-course, G-course, S-course. You will also learn German.
At the end of the preparatory year you will write the University Entrance Exam. If you pass this examination successfully, you can apply for a course of study at the University of Hildesheim. Please apply directly via the application portal of the University of Hildesheim. You do not have to apply again via uni assist.

If I pass the  University Entrance Exam (Feststellungsprüfung), can I study all degree programmes?
No, you have a subject-specific HZB. This means that you can only study certain subjects at the University of Hildesheim according to the course selection at the Studienkolleg. Therefore, please consider carefully for which program at the University of Hildesheim you would like to apply. Depending on the degree program, the University of Hildesheim will register you for the appropriate course at the Studienkolleg.

If needed, inquire at the Studienkolleg if you can take a additional exam at the Studienkolleg if your desired course has changed.

Requirements for Bachelor programs

Do I need to submit more documents?

You need to take a qualifying exam to begin your studies in some bachelor programs:

Art study programs:

  • Bachelor in Creative Writing And Journalism,
  • Bachelor in Cultural Sciences And Aesthetics
  • Bachelor in Scenic Arts

Two-course-bachelor with the subjects:

  • Art
  • Music
  • Sports

The application deadline for the qualifying exam ends mid of April. However, each qualifying exam may have a different deadline. Thus, visit the webpage of your study program to gather information about the current deadlines. Furthermore, information sessions, online seminars and multifaceted presentations can help you prepare for the qualifying exam.

You can register for the qualifying exam in the application portal. Please don’t forget that must submit your application for a place to study at the University of Hildesheim through uni assist.


Requirements for Master programs

What documents do I need to apply for a Master's program?

If you are applying for a Master's program, you must already have a degree in an undergraduate program. The undergraduate program must fit the chosen Master's program.

Some Masters also require:

  • higher knowledge of German, e.g. TestDaF 5x5
  • other foreign language skills, e.g. English, Spanish or French
  • a letter of motivation
  • a curriculum vitae in tabular form
  • a description of your research project
  • ...

You will find more detailed information on the other requirements in the descriptions of the individual study programs. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Recognition and Adaptation Period

You haven’t completed an occupational qualification in Germany but you wish to exercise your profession here?

You can get your foreign qualification recognised in Germany. During the recognition process, the responsible office in Germany examines if your occupational qualification obtained abroad responds to the German reference profession and if there are any significant differences. This exam is called equivalency test.

You can receive multilingual information for the recognition process here:


Have you completed your teacher’s education in another country? Do you want to work as a teacher in Lower Saxony?

You must fill out a form for the equivalency test of the degree completed abroad at the Ministry for Science and Culture of Lower Saxony.

When the Ministry for Science and Culture of Lower Saxony has reviewed your application, you will receive the decision through a letter of recognition. In some case, only a part of the occupational qualification is recognised. Then, you can either take the equivalency test or you can complete an adaptation period to compensate the significant differences of your occupational qualification. The University of Hildesheim offers adaptation courses in these cases.

How can I apply for an adaptation course for the teacher’s profession at the University of Hildesheim?

To participate to an adaptation course at the University of Hildesheim you can apply twice a year, either until 15.01 or until 15.07. Hence, you must submit the following documents to <link> :

  • informal application form
  • tabular resume
  • passport photo (4 cm height x 3cm width) with your full name written on the back side
  • certified copy of the recognition letter provided by the Ministry for Science and Culture of Lower Saxony
  • simple copy of your foreign graduation certificate in the original language and the German translation
  • certified copy of German language certificate

Which level of proficiency of the German language do I require?

According to GER, you need a C1 level for all courses except the course of German language. For that course, you need a C2 level of proficiency according to GER. The following certificates are accepted:

  • TestDaf (4x4 or 5x5)
  • Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH 2 or 3)
  • Telc C1 Hochschule
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom (DSD II)

Where can I get more information and advice?

The University of Hildesheim offers consultation hours for people interested in the adaptation course for the teacher’s profession. Please contact us.

We also recommend you to contact the nationwide IQ Network for the recognition process of your occupational profession. The closest office in Hildesheim is the recognition office of IHK Hannover.

Tip: The recognition process can last a few months. Thus, we advise you to begin this process and start learning German as soon as possible.

Have you already obtained some academic achievements at another university and you want to recognize them in the University of Hildesheim?

There is a form for the recognition of the obtained academic achievements, which you need if

  • You have already completed some achievements at another university and you wish to recognize and incorporate them in your study program in Hildesheim.
  • You want to apply for a senior semester
  • You wish to change your study program and recognize your academic achievements from your previous studies.

In any case, your application will be examined individually from the examination committee.

You can find the application form as well as more information for applying for the recognition of already obtained academic achievements here.

German Language Skills

For bachelor programs:
If your university entrance qualification entitles you to study at the University of Hildesheim directly, you have to submit one of the following German certificates along with your application:

  • TestDaF (level 4 in all 4 sections)
  • telc C1 Hochschule
  • Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH level 2)
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom (DSD evel II)
  • University Entrance exam incl. German
  • Goethe Zertifikat C2
  • or higher

For master programs:
In some cases, other language requirements apply to the admission to a Master's program. You can find more information on this on the corresponding course page. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

For Studienkolleg:
You need level B1 CEFR in German for Studienkolleg, e.g. B1 telc, B1 Goethe or other officially accepted exams.

Learning German:

In general, we recommend that you to acquire the required knowledge of German in your home country.

However, we also offer Telc C1 Hochschule and TestDaF preparation courses in Hildesheim. If you are interested, please contact the Volkshochschule Hildesheim or the Language Centre (Sprachenzentrum) of the HAWK. The university itself does not offer any preparatory German courses.

You will find a general overview of language and subject courses and other opportunities to learn German on the DAAD website.

Further Requirements

Do I have to submit additional documents?

Some Bachelor programmes require you to take a qualifying examination (Eignungsprüfung):

Artistic and cultural undergraduate programs:

  • Bachelor Kratives Schreiben und Journalismus (Bachelor Creative Writing & Cultural Journalism)
  • Bachelor Kulturwissenschaften und ästhetische Praxis (Bachelor Cultural Studies,  Aesthetics & Applied Arts)
  • Bachelor Szenische Künste (Bachelor Scenic Arts)

2-Subject Bachelor (2-Fächer-Bachelor) with the subjects:

  • Art
  • Music
  • Sports

The application deadline for the qualifying examinations usually ends in mid-April. Depending on the qualifying examination, there are different deadlines. Therefore, please inform yourself about the current deadlines on our course pages. Information days and presentations will help you to prepare for the qualifying examination.

You can register for the qualifying examination in the application portal. In addition, you must apply for a study program at the University of Hildesheim via uni assist.

Do I need an APS certificate?
Applicants from China, Monoglia or Vietnam must have their educational certificates reviewed by an Academic Evaluation Centre (APS). Further information can be found on the APS websites:


I want to study psychology. What do I have to consider?
Please note that the University of Hildesheim participates in the dialogue-oriented service procedure (Dialogorientiertes Serviceverfahren, DoSV) for the Bachelor of Science in Psychology. Please register via to receive a BID and BAN. Please enter BID and BAN when you apply in the uni assist portal.


What do I have to consider if I have already studied at a German university?
Important: If you have already been enrolled at a German university, you must submit a clearance certificate (Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung) with your application. This serves to determine whether there is still an entitlement to examinations in the desired study program. The clearance certificate is issued by the German University at which you were previously enrolled.


Can I apply for a higher semester?
If you would like to apply for a higher semester, please apply via uni assist and enter the relevant semester there.

In addition, you must submit an application for the recognition of the academic and examination achievements that you have already completed. It will be decided on a case-by-case basis whether you can be placed in a higher semester.

Alternatively, you can also have your achievements recognised after admission and enrolment at the University of Hildesheim. You must submit the same application.

University and City of Hildesheim

The University

The Profile of the University of Hildesheim


The University of Hildesheim has four main faculties:

  • Faculty 1 Educational and Social Studies
  • Faculty 2 Cultural Studies and Aesthetic Communication
  • Faculty 3 Information and Communication Studies
  • Faculty 4 Mathematics, Natural Sciences, Economics and Informatics

These four faculties make up the unmistakable profile of the University of Hildesheim among the German universities. Hildesheim with its about 8,000 students is one of the smallest of the total of eleven universities in Lower Saxony. In contrast to the large ones, the University of Hildesheim allows students to complete a qualified degree program in an environment on a human scale. It is flexible with regard to the demands made on up-to-date university training and has made a name for itself by introducing new degree programmes such as Scenic Arts, International Communication and Translating as well as Information Management and Information Technology.

The University of Hildesheim is young, dynamic and innovative. It allows students to acquire key qualifications and attend courses from neighbouring disciplines.

An overview of the undergraduate courses at Hildesheim University can be found here.


The Academic Year

Each academic year consists of two semesters, a winter semester and a summer semester.

The lecture period, i.e. the time in which seminars and lectures etc. are held, is rather shorter: in the winter semester, the lecture period usually begins and mid-October and ends in mid-February.
There is a Christmas break of about two weeks at the end of December and the beginning of January.

The lecture period in the summer semester usually begins in mid-April and ends in mid-July. In the week after Whitsun, thereis an excursion week in which there are no lectures.

The nonlecture periods between the semesters are usually used for exams and to write papers.

Please find the concrete semester dates here.

The City of Hildesheim

Hildesheim with its about 100,000 inhabitants is a charming “small city“ which you can easily find your way around in a short time. You will find it reassuring to know that cafes, the theatre, cinemas, supermarkets and of course the university are usually not far away by bike or even on foot. For those who want to go out in the evening, the town offers a rich cultural life. There is something for everyone here – the “Stadttheater“ with plays, musicals, ballets, operettas and operas, the “Kulturfabrik“ with theatrical events and cabaret, ”Vier Linden“ and the “Bischhofsmühle“ with many concerts. And then there are museums, exhibitions and much more besides…

Those who enjoy the older and more traditional art forms will not get bored in Hildesheim either, for two churches protected by UNESCO are located here: the ancient St. Michael’s Church and the cathedral, in the cloister of which you will find the 1000-year-old rosebush, the symbol of Hildesheim. A tour of these two buildings is definitely worthwhile. Other historical treasures, particularly from Egyptian culture, can be admired in the world-famous Roemer and Pelizaeus Museum.

Another of the advantages of Hildesheim is its convenient location: Hannover, the capital of Lower Saxony, is just half an hour away. Other big cities such as Braunschweig or Hamburg and even the German capital Berlin are easy to get to by train in less than two hours.

Video about Hildesheim (in German): "ffn - Der Norden von oben: Hildesheim"

Website der Stadt Hildesheim


Reports from International Students

Bildungswege: "Ich wollte unbedingt wieder studieren"

Montag, 15. Oktober 2018 um 09:00 Uhr

Sajedeh Khabaz Ghazian und Jean Paul Turatsinze werden mit einem Stipendium ausgezeichnet. „Die feierliche Übergabe zum Semesterstart ist ein Zeichen für alle Studienanfängerinnen und Studienanfänger: Die Universität fördert besondere Leistungen“, sagt Vizepräsident Professor Martin Schreiner.

Zwei Stipendien vergibt der Rotary-Club Hildesheim im neuen Studienjahr an zwei Studierende der Universität Hildesheim. Das Stipendium beinhaltet einmalig 1000 Euro für das Studienjahr Wintersemester 2018/19 und Sommersemester 2019.

Die Rotary-Stipendien Stipendien erhalten Sajedeh Khabaz Ghazian und Jean Paul Turatsinze für ihre besonderen Leistungen auf dem Weg in die Wissenschaft. Beide sind ohne Verwandte nach Deutschland gekommen und haben sich in den letzten Monaten und Jahren sehr darum bemüht, in kurzer Zeit die deutsche Sprache so gut zu erlernen, dass sie jetzt ein Studium in Hildesheim aufnehmen können.

„Die feierliche Übergabe zum Semesterstart ist auch ein Zeichen für alle Studienanfängerinnen und Studienanfänger: Die Universität fördert besondere Leistungen“, sagt Professor Martin Schreiner, Vizepräsident für Stiftungsentwicklung. Die Universität Hildesheim vergibt bis zu 200 Stipendien im Studienjahr, darunter das „Deutschlandstipendium“, das „Lore-Auerbach-Stipendium“ sowie das Stipendium im „Minerva-Kolleg“. „Wir sind froh und dankbar, dass es Menschen in der Region Hildesheim gibt, die sich für Bildung engagieren“, sagt Schreiner. Die Universität Hildesheim sucht nun weitere Stifter, die Studentinnen und Studenten auf ihrem Bildungsweg unterstützen.

Sajedeh Khabaz Ghazian studiert ab Oktober 2018 Lehramt mit den Fächern Deutsch und Englisch in Hildesheim. In den letzten Monaten fuhr sie täglich von einer kleinen niedersächsischen Stadt mit Bus und Bahn über Hannover bis nach Hildesheim. Ihr Ziel: der Sprachkurs an der Universität Hildesheim. Nun startet sie im Oktober in ihr Lehramtsstudium. „Ich lebe seit fünf Jahren in Deutschland. In Iran habe ich bereits Englisch studiert und unterrichtet. Als ich in Niedersachsen ankam, wollte ich unbedingt wieder studieren – das war immer mein Ziel. Anna Pulm vom International Office hat mich auf dem Weg an die Universität sehr unterstützt und beraten. In einem Schulpraktikum habe ich die Freude gefunden, mit Kindern zu arbeiten. Ich mag Sprachen, spreche Persisch, Deutsch und Englisch. Ich möchte unbedingt die deutsche Sprache beherrschen, ich werde viele Vorlesungen in Literatur- und Sprachwissenschaft besuchen“, sagt die 34-Jährige.

Jean Paul Turatsinze studiert seit dem Sommersemester 2018 am IT-Campus in Hildesheim. Da seine Hochschulzugangsberechtigung aus Ruanda in Deutschland nicht anerkannt wurde, hat der 23-Jährige in Hannover das Studienkolleg besucht und die Abschlussprüfung bestanden und parallel die Sprache gelernt. Er spezialisiert sich im Studiengang „Informationsmanagement und Informationstechnologie“ in Hildesheim auf den Umgang mit Daten und Informationen. „Ich mag das Fach, ich habe schon in der Schule in Ruanda Computer als Schwerpunktfach belegt. Um ehrlich zu sagen, es ist schwer, aber ich versuche mir viel Mühe zu geben, um das Studium zu schaffen. Ich freue mich, wenn im Oktober endlich wieder die Vorlesungen beginnen“, sagt Jean Paul Turatsinze. Er besucht Vorlesungen in der Informatik und Informationswissenschaft.

Dr. Marina Hohage, Präsidentin des Rotary Clubs Hildesheim, über die Rotary-Stipendien:

„Der Rotary Club Hildesheim hat die Förderung junger Menschen zu seinem besonderen Schwerpunkt erklärt. Der gleichmäßige Zugang zur Bildung und beruflicher Perspektive steht dabei im Vordergrund. Studierende, die als Flüchtlinge zu uns gekommen sind, haben nicht selten besondere Hürden zu bewältigen. Dies wird auch bei den in diesem Jahr ausgewählten Stipendiaten deutlich, die ohne ihre Eltern zu uns gekommen sind, sprachliche Barrieren überwinden mussten und bei allen zu organisierenden Details auf sich allein gestellt sind. Beide Stipendiaten haben mit beachtlichem Tempo und Erfolg die deutsche Sprache erlernt, engagieren sich ehrenamtlich an Schulen oder im kirchlichen Bereich und haben durch die Teilnahme an Vorbereitungskursen sowie regelmäßig lange Anreisewege enorme Anstrengungen aufgezeigt, um an der Stiftung Universität Hildesheim studieren zu können. Beide Studierende unterstützen wir sehr gerne und hoffen, damit einen Beitrag leisten zu können, dass sie an der Universität Hildesheim ihren erfolgreichen Weg fortsetzen können“, so Marina Hohage.

Studierende mit einem Stipendium unterstützen

Wer Studierende mit einem Stipendium unterstützen möchte, kann sich direkt an Markus Langer (05121 883 90130, oder Prof. Dr. Martin Schreiner (05121 883 11102, wenden.

Stiftungskultur an der Universität Hildesheim

Die Universität Hildesheim ist Träger des Deutschen Hochschulfundraisingpreises 2018. Der Deutsche Hochschulverband hat die Stiftungskultur in Hildesheim ausgezeichnet. Hildesheimer Bildungsstifterinnen und Bildungsstifter – Bürger aus der Stadt und Region sowie Unternehmen und Stiftungen – tragen mit ihren Spenden dazu bei, dass Bildungswege junger Menschen unterstützt und neue Forschungsgebiete ausgebaut werden können.

Erstellt von Pressestelle, Isa Lange

Barrierefreie Kommunikation: Interview mit Sergio Andrés Hernández Garrido

Montag, 15. Oktober 2018 um 07:44 Uhr

Sergio Andrés Hernández Garrido befasst sich in seiner Forschung mit dem Abbau von Kommunikationsbarrieren. Dafür erhält der junge Medienlinguist den Preis des Deutschen Akademischen Austauschdienstes. Der 24-Jährige schließt gerade sein Masterstudium „Medientext und Medienübersetzung“ ab.

Zum Semesterstart wurde der Preis des Deutschen Akademischen Austauschdienstes verliehen. Den mit 1.000 Euro dotierten DAAD-Preis erhält der Hildesheimer Übersetzungswissenschaftler Sergio Andrés Hernández Garrido. Der 24-Jährige schließt gerade sein Masterstudium „Medientext und Medienübersetzung“ ab.

Der diesjährige DAAD-Preisträger Sergio Andrés Hernández Garrido gehört zu einem Team um Professorin Christiane Maaß, die sich am Bühler-Campus der Universität Hildesheim mit dem Abbau von Kommunikationsbarrieren befassen. Die Medienlinguisten und Medienlinguistinnen übersetzen zum Beispiel Nachrichten, juristische Texte oder sogar Märchen in Leichte Sprache.

Die Forschung und Lehre im Bereich <link leichtesprache/ _blank>„Barrierefreie Kommunikation“ </link>an der Universität Hildesheim wächst, dies ist eine der aktuellen Entwicklungen:

Abbau von Kommunikationsbarrieren als gesellschaftliche Aufgabe

Masterstudiengang „Barrierefreie Kommunikation“ startet

Erstmals starten im Oktober 2018 Studentinnen und Studenten an der Universität Hildesheim im viersemestrigen Masterstudiengang „Barrierefreie Kommunikation“. Zu den Studieninhalten zählen neben den Grundlagen der barrierefreien Kommunikation auch barrierefreie Rechts- und Online-Kommunikation, Leichte Sprache, Schriftdolmetschen und Gebärdensprache. Studieninteressierte können sich um einen Masterstudienplatz bewerben, die nächste Gelegenheit zur Einschreibung ist zum Sommersemester 2019.

Interview mit dem Übersetzungswissenschaftler und Medienlinguisten Sergio Andrés Hernández Garrido

Herr Hernández Garrido, Sie studieren in Hildesheim Medientext und Medienübersetzung.

Das Hildesheimer Masterstudium ist einzigartig in Deutschland. Ich habe mir vor meiner Bewerbung die Stadt und Universität in Hildesheim angesehen – da dachte ich, dieser Ort ist ein guter Ort für mich.

Medientext und Medienübersetzung, das klingt etwas abstrakt – was steckt dahinter?

Wir beschäftigen uns hauptsächlich mit der audiovisuellen Übersetzung von Texten, wir untertiteln zum Beispiel Filme. Ich spezialisiere mich in Hildesheim auf die barrierefreie Kommunikation, beschäftige mich mit Audiodeskription – Bilder übersetze ich in Wörter, damit Personen mit einer Sehbehinderung auch audiovisuelle Medien konsumieren können –, Untertitelung und Leichter Sprache. Das hat mich vom ersten Moment an interessiert. Ich kann mit meiner Arbeit einen Beitrag in der Gesellschaft leisten.

Sie schreiben gerade ihre Masterarbeit.

Mein Ziel ist es, die Leichte Sprache aus einer internationalen Perspektive zu untersuchen. In Deutschland ist schon vieles geschafft worden im Bereich der Inklusion, auch wenn der Weg weiter lang ist. Wenn ich in mein Heimatland Kolumbien blicke, dann wurde praktisch noch nichts gemacht, um Kommunikationsbarrieren abzubauen. Ich möchte die Leichte Sprache nach Kolumbien bringen, wo es bislang kaum Bemühungen in der barrierefreien Kommunikation gibt. In Kolumbien möchte ich die Leichte Sprache aufbauen, um die Partizipation von Menschen mit Leseeinschränkungen in allen Bereichen des öffentlichen Lebens zu ermöglichen. Gemeinsam mit kolumbianischen Forschungseinrichtungen möchte ich ein Regelwerk für die Übersetzung von juristisch-administrativer Kommunikation in Leichtes Spanisch entwickeln. Die Grundlagen hierfür erarbeite ich in meiner Masterarbeit und ich plane ein Promotionsprojekt an der Universität Hildesheim. Ich habe erste Kontakte zu Universitäten in Barranquilla geknüpft.

Sie übersetzen in der Forschungsstelle Fachtexte in einfach geschriebene Texte. Was ist die Leichte Sprache?

Die Leichte Sprache ist eine Reduktionsvarietät des Deutschen. Die Sprache wendet sich vor allem an Menschen mit geistiger Behinderung, aber auch an andere Menschen mit Leseeinschränkung. Also: Die Texte werden so reduziert, dass sie verständlicher sind, so dass die Menschen eigenständig die Texte verstehen können, was ihnen Unabhängigkeit und Selbstständigkeit ermöglicht. Wir nehmen die Originaltexte und formulieren sie in Hauptsätze um, auch vermeiden wir zum Beispiel die Verwendung von Pronomina. Wir versuchen alles so simpel und klar darzustellen, so dass sich alle alleine informieren können. Die Texte in Leichter Sprache sind ein Zusatzangebot und eine Hilfe zum Originaltext, sie ersetzen das Original nicht. Die Studien von Professorin Christiane Maaß zeigen, dass nicht nur Menschen mit geistiger Behinderung davon profitieren, sondern auch Sprachlerner oder Menschen mit Leseschwierigkeiten.

Wie arbeiten Sie in der Forschungsstelle?

Ich übersetze Fachtexte, wir arbeiten mit Kultureinrichtungen, Medien wie dem NDR und WDR und Behörden zusammen. Ich bin auch in der Planung von Tagungen und Projekten beteiligt.

Was macht Ihnen Freude in der barrierefreien Kommunikation? Was ist Ihr Antrieb?

Meine Motivation steigt ganz ehrlich jeden Tag durch meine Erfahrungen in der Forschungsstelle. Gerade habe ich wieder mit einer Prüfgruppe aus Braunschweig unsere Texte unter die Lupe genommen. Die Menschen mit Behinderung geben mir Rückmeldungen zur Verständlichkeit unserer Übersetzungen und machen Verbesserungsvorschläge, sie sind sehr dankbar für die Arbeit, die wir in Hildesheim leisten. Wenn man sieht, dass die Arbeit, die man leistet, einen Sinn hat, ist man motiviert, weiterzumachen.

Sie erhalten den DAAD-Preis.

Die Auszeichnung vom Deutschen Akademischen Austauschdienst ist eine riesige Motivation für mich, mich weiter zu bemühen. Der DAAD war schon für meinen Vater als junger Wissenschaftler sehr wichtig, er konnte promovieren – heute ist er Mathematikprofessor in Kolumbien. Meine Familie und ich haben Deutschland vieles zu verdanken. Ich habe die Hälfte meines Lebens in Deutschland verbracht und hatte Chancen, mich zu bilden. Ich möchte durch meine Arbeit in der barrierefreien Kommunikation der Gesellschaft etwas zurückgeben. Ich möchte mit dieser Kraft auch zeigen, was in den Menschen in Kolumbien steckt, all jenen, die sich jeden Tag bemühen, das Land zu einem besseren Land zu machen. Mein Traum ist es, all die Kompetenzen, die ich in Deutschland, in Hildesheim, erworben habe, in Kolumbien umsetzen zu können, um dort Kommunikationsbarrieren abzubauen und Teilhabe von Menschen an der Gesellschaft zu fördern. Ich habe das Gefühl, dass das was ich lerne, einen Sinn hat.

Die Fragen stellte Isa Lange.

Zur Person

Sergio Andrés Hernández Garrido, 24 Jahre, geboren in Baranquilla in Kolumbien. Als kleines Kind hat er fünf Jahre mit seiner Familie in Deutschland gelebt, da sein Vater als DAAD-Stipendiat in Deutschland geforscht hat. Die Familie kehrte nach Kolumbien zurück, wo Sergio Andrés Hernández Garrido sein Abitur absolvierte. Es folgte ein Bachelorstudium der Übersetzungswissenschaft in Mainz.

Seit 2016 studiert er im Masterstudiengang „Medientext und Medienübersetzung“ in Hildesheim und hat sich dort auf die barrierefreie Kommunikation spezialisiert. Er arbeitet als studentische Hilfskraft in der Forschungsstelle Leichte Sprache, nachdem er dort zunächst ein sechsmonatiges Praktikum absolviert hat. Im Masterstudium hat der junge Wissenschaftler bereits die Übung zur Vorlesung „Übersetzungswissenschaft“ unterrichtet. Spanisch ist seine Muttersprache.

Seit Oktober ist er für die Forschungsstelle Leichte Sprache auch im Projekt „Easy Access for Social Inclusion Training“ (EASIT) tätig, einem europäischen Forschungsprojekt unter Leitung der Universität Barcelona, an dem neben der Forschungsstelle Leichte Sprache der Universität Hildesheim weitere Forschungseinrichtungen aus Spanien, Italien, Slowenien, Schweden und Deutschland mitwirken. Die internationale Arbeitsgruppe untersucht die Möglichkeiten, wie audiovisuelle Medien in Leichter Sprache aufbereitet werden können und wie dieses Wissen in die Ausbildung von Medienübersetzern eingebracht werden kann.


Wer sich für den Bereich „Barrierefreie Kommunikation“ interessiert erreicht Prof. Dr. Christiane Maaß, die Leiterin der Forschungsstelle Leichte Sprache, unter

Konferenz „Barrierefreie Kommunikation“

Die Universität Hildesheim richtet die Konferenz „Barrierefreie Kommunikation“ vom 18. bis 20. Oktober 2018 in Hildesheim aus. Es werden Vertreterinnen und Vertreter aus Wissenschaft, Politik und Gesellschaft anwesend sein, unter anderem die Landesbeauftragte für Menschen mit Behinderungen, Petra Wontorra, sowie renommierte Fachkolleginnen und Fachkollegen aus dem In- und Ausland. Die Tagung ist barrierefrei und die Beiträge werden unter anderem in Gebärdensprache verdolmetscht. Auch Schriftdolmetscher sind im Einsatz, um Menschen mit Hörschädigung die Teilnahme zu ermöglichen . Das Team um Professorin Christiane Maaß stellt auf der Tagung das neue 800-seitige Handbuch „Barrierefreie Kommunikation“ vor. Insgesamt werden etwa 70 Konferenzteilnehmer aus dem In- und Ausland in Hildesheim erwartet.

Programm der Konferenz: Barrierefreie Kommunikation

Duden-Preis für die beste Fachübersetzung in Leichte Sprache

Die „Forschungsstelle Leichte Sprache“ der Universität Hildesheim hat zusammen mit der Duden-Redaktion den Preis für die beste Fachübersetzung in Leichte Sprache ausgeschrieben. Der Preis ist mit 1500 Euro dotiert und wird im Oktober 2018 erstmals auf der Tagung „Barrierefreie Kommunikation“ in Hildesheim übergeben. Preisträger ist Mark Harenberg vom NDR. Anwesend sind Vertreterinnen und Vertreter der Duden-Redaktion und von der Lebenshilfe Braunschweig, die neben der Forschungsstelle Leichte Sprache zur Jury gehören.

Erstellt von Pressestelle, Isa Lange


The Application Process

Have you acquired your university entrance qualification (HZB) abroad?
Please apply via uni assist. Checklists, videos & webinars as well as Infos country by country will help you with your application.

Tip: Apply early at uni-assist. The examination of your documents takes 4-6 weeks. Once the application deadline has passed, you can no longer submit any more documents.

Uni-assist checks the application documents for completeness, evaluates your educational qualifications and converts your grades into the German system. Please send your application and all necessary documents directly to uni-assist. Applications that meet the requirements will be forwarded by uni-assist to the University of Hildesheim.

After uni-assist has forwarded your application to the University of Hildesheim, you will receive your login data for the application portal of the University of Hildesheim by e-mail.

In the application portal you will receive important information about the status of your application as well as your admission or rejection. Attention: You do not have to apply again via the application portal of the University of Hildesheim. You can find out how to proceed in the section "Enrolment".


Are you interested in the IT Master's programmes?

  • M.Sc. Information Management & Information Technology (IMIT),
  • M.Sc. Applied Computer Science (study variant of M.Sc. IMIT),
  • M.Sc. Data Analytics (in English, study variant of M.Sc. IMIT),
  • M.Sc. Business Informatics,

Then please apply via the IT-Master application portal.
Here you will find more detailed information on these courses of study.


Have you obtained your university entrance qualification from a German school in Germany or abroad? Have you passed the University entrance exam at the Studienkolleg?
Then please apply directly via the application portal of the University of Hildesheim.

Application Documents


(Universität Hildesheim)

c/o uni-assist e.V.
11507 Berlin

If you mail service does not accept the address above, please send your documents to uni-assist e.V., Geneststrasse 5, 10829 Berlin instead.

The following documents must be submitted along with your application:


  • Application form for admission to studies. Please fill this in completely
  • An officially certified photocopy of your school leaving certificate (baccalauréa etc.). This must include an overall average mark.
  • An officially certified photocopy of the translation of your school leaving certificate
  • Proof of your knowledge of German (see also German language skills)
  • A one-page letter in German explaining your reasons for wanting to study in Hildesheim
  • A certified photocopy of your passport
  • The receipt proving you have paid the processing fee

 We require your documents in the following form:

You must submit officially certified copies of the original certificates. In addition, you must enclose German translations of these copies made by a sworn translator


If you have already been enrolled at a German university, you must also submit a certificate of no objection (Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung). This serves to determine whether an examination entitlement still exists in the desired degree programme. The Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung is issued by the German university at which you were previously enrolled.

Important Information for Chinese Applicants

Chinese applicants are generally requested to contact the “Akademische Prüfstelle” in Beijing: if you want to apply for admission to the University of Hildesheim, your documents will be checked there. We require the original of the certificate issued by the ”Akademische Prüfstelle” or a copy certified by the German Embassy.

Landmark Tower 2, Office 0311
8 North Dongsanhuan Road
Chaoyang District
10004 Beijing
Tel.: +86/10/65907138
Email: kuaps[at]

Deadlines for Application

Bachelor programs:

  • Winter semester (October-February): The application starts on 1st June and the deadline is 15th July.

  • Summer semester (April-July): For some Bachelor programs you can apply as well for the summer semester. The application starts on 1st December and the deadline is 15 January.

Master programs:

  • Winter Semester (October-February): For some Master programs, you need to apply in April already. Please check the application deadline for your study program (listed below).
    For the regular Master programs the application starts on 1st June and the deadline is 15th July.

  • Summer semester (April-July): For some Master programs you can apply as well for the summer semester. The application starts on 1st December and the deadline is 15 January.

Further information:

  • Please make sure, your application, including all your documents, is received by uni assist within the deadline.

  • Sometimes the application deadline is extended. Please check below.
  • For some study programs you will be enrolled directly. Please check the enrolment deadline for "Zulassungsfreie Studiengänge" below.

  • For the adaptation period (Anpassungslehrgang) for teachers please apply from 1st June to 15th July or 1st December to 15th January.

Your start of study

Have you received a letter of admission?


Would you like to begin your studies at our university? Then we look forward to welcoming you here in Hildesheim soon.

Before you can start your studies, there are only a few steps left to complete: