Do you want to study at the University of Hildesheim and apply for the summer semester 2022?

International prospective students can find here the most recent information on the adjustments in the application process for the summer semester 2022 because of the coronavirus. We hope that this information and new adjustments will help you with your application for a place at our university. We look forward to receiving your application!

The following FAQ list is continuously updated and it’s not complete. Please understand that we cannot provide an answer to every question at this point and that some things are still being clarified. For more information, you can also read:

f you have more questions, you can use our online consultation hour.


Corona Update

Where can I get information about the Corona vaccination?

From 7 June 2021, everyone aged 16 and over, regardless of their health status or occupation, will be able to get a vaccination appointment. However, due to the continued limited availability of vaccines, it will not be possible to vaccinate all those willing to be vaccinated in June right away. Further information on the lifting of vaccination prioritisation can be found  here


Basic information on vaccination and testing is available here in several languages: Arabic,GermanEnglishFarsiPolishRussianTurkish. The information brochure also describes how you can register for vaccination. 

Under "Impfen gegen Corona" you will find a multilingual information service that answers many questions about vaccination. Topics include: Should you get vaccinated? How do vaccines work? What are the risks?

On the Federal Government's website you will also find videos that answer further questions about vaccination knowledge. In ten videos, medical experts answer questions about vaccination subtitled in English, Turkish and Arabic.

On the website of the Lower Saxony Refugee Council you can also find information about vaccination in many languages (Albanian, Persian (Farsi), Bosnian, Serbian, Croatian, Twi, French, English, Arabic, Russian, Spanish).


Where can I get up-to-date information on entering the country?
Registration in the district of Hildesheim compulsory for returning travellers from risk areas according to RKI
What means 14 days of quarantine?

Everybody who travelled to Lower Saxony (Hildesheim) from another country must stay in quarantine for 14 days.

It is very important that you spend the right amount of days in quarantine.

The day you arrived in Germany is your travel day. This means that you have to stay in quarantine the 14 days after the travel day. Example: You came to Hildesheim on th1 1st April then you have to stay in quarantine until the 15th April.

You will not receive a notice after your 14-days-quarantine from the Gesundheitsamt (Health Authority).
It is not possible to shorten the quarantine by doing a PCR test!

Do I need an entry confirmation?

Because of the gradual lifting of the EU travel restrictions for travellers of third countries at the beginning of July 2020, international students and researchers can once again enter the country for study or research purposes. Until now, students and researches had to confirm in writing that their study or research program could not be completed from abroad.

Since the summer semester 2021 is allowed to be conducted through both online and in-person courses at the universities and the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the State in Federal Republic of Germany (KMK) has approved this practice according to the Federal Ministry of Internal Affairs (BMI) and the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), the students’ attendance is considered mandatory as soon as their university admission is submitted.

According to the BMI, the issuance of an additional, individual certificate of attendance by the universities is therefore no longer necessary as of September 11, 2020.

Corona Warning App

To eliminate the spread of the coronavirus, it is particularly important to break the chains of infection. The Corona Warn App commissioned and distributed by the German government can contribute to the virus containment. It also allows users to receive their corona test results quickly and alerts contact persons after a confirmed infection.  

You can download this app at the following link:

The university administration and the crisis team of the univeristy including the Staff council support the use of the Corona Warn App. The use of the App is voluntary. The use of the app will grant no advantages or disadvantages to the universities members.

Should I wear a mask in all buildings of the University?

Students, employees and guests must wear a mouth-nose protection (mask) in all buildings of the University of Hildesheim.

This obligation applies in all buildings of the university, in the corridors, on the stairs, in the toilets, in the common areas (also at the working spaces) and in the classrooms. Different regulations may apply to office, work, and meeting rooms or in case of approved classroom courses and exams.

This measure aims to protect the health of alluniversity members and helps to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Please behave responsibly.

Symptoms of Disease

The most common symptoms are fever over 38°C, cough, running nose, headache, aching limbs, fatigue, and scratchy throat. Some people experience a temporary loss of smell and taste, while others may develop pneumonia with shortness of breath.

However, most COVID-19 cases are mild, and many people experience no symptoms. As a result, people who feel healthy can infect others without knowing it. Therefore, you should always pay attention to the current measures summarized in the AHA rules: Keep your distance (minimum distance 1.5 meters), follow hygiene rules (cough and sneeze into your elbow or a tissue, wash your hands regularly), wear an everyday mask (in crowded or enclosed places).

Individuals affected by the coronavirus infection should contact their family doctor via phone to discuss how to proceed before going to the doctor's office.


Who can I contact if I have more questions?

Do you have more questions on entering the country, on quarantine and the issuance of visa? Are you worried and want to know which regulations apply in your case?

We will be happy to advise you at the International Office. Due to the current situation, we do not provide advice in person to protect  both our and your health from the corona virus.

Thus, you can contact us by mail and express your concerns. If necessary, please let us know, whether you would like to talk on the phone or have web conference and discuss your questions. We will gladly arrange an appointment with you as soon as possible. You will find your contact person under Contacts. Please include your first and last name as well as your matriculation number to help us process your request more quickly and efficiently.


FAQ regarding your application in the summer semester 2022

Are there any changes in the application deadlines for the summersemester 2022?

You can find information on application deadlines in the tab "current application procedures":

Missed the deadline? Here, you will also find information on deadline extensions or random selection procedures.

We recommend applying early so that you have enough time for further steps such as enrolment, visa or finding accommodation.

When does the summer semester 2022 begin?

The winter semester 2021/22 starts on 25.10.2021 with the introduction week. The courses begin from 1.11.2021.

Due to the still existing health risk caused by the pandemic, all classes will be held online for the upcoming summer semester at the University of Hildesheim.  

However, the University of Hildesheim, as a brick-and-mortar university, aims to return to classroom teaching as soon as possible.

Which language certificate do I need to study at the University of Hildesheim?

You should submit one of the following C1 certificates until the end of the winter semester 2020/21, March 31, 2021:

  • TestDaF 4x4
  • DSH 2
  • DSD Stufe II
  • Telc C1 Hochschule
  • Goethe C2

This regulation applies to all Bachelor’s programs, and the majority of Master programs. For the following Master's programs, you will still need to submit one of the above C1 certificates:

  • Master in psychology
  • Master in social and organisational education
  • Master in environment, nature conservation and sustainable education

We kindly ask you to plan enough time for the acquisition of the German language certificate. Once the academic semester starts, you will hardly have any time to prepare for a language test.

If you are unable to submit a certified copy of the language certificate to the Marticulation Office by March 31, 2021, you will be exmatriculated.

Therefore, we suggest you to register for a German course and the respective exam as soon as possible. More specifically, you can find great offers from the period between June and September, which are provided both digitally from home and in classroom sessions in Hildesheim.

 Register now:

Which form should my application form have?

You do not need to submit certified copies for your application for the winter semester 2021/22.

You can easily create your application online via our online portal My uni-assist.

Find out more in the uni-assist FAQ.

Should I send my application per post?

No, you don’t have to send your application per post.

You can easily create your application online via our online portal My uni-assist.

Find out more in the uni-assist FAQ.

Will the entrance test of the Lower Saxony Preparatory Foundation Course take place?
How will the suitability test take place of the University of Hildesheim?

The suitability test of the University of Hildesheim takes place in a different form. For more information, click here.

For the sports suitability test you need to upload a “declaration on your suitability for swimming” as well as your “health suitability” (approved by a doctor) in German or English in the uni-assist portal.

How does the adaptation period work?

The application for the adaptation period is still conducted in writing as an informal written application. However, you don’t need certified copies. If you want to study the subject of German language, you need a C1 or C2 language certificate.


I want to start my Bachelor of Science in psychology. When should I apply? What should I keep in mind?

The application period for the Bachelor of Science in psychology lasts from 01.07-20.08.2021.

This Bachelor program takes part in the dialogue-oriented service procedure (DoSV) provided by This means that you must also enter your BID (Applicant ID) and BAN (Applicant authentication number) when applying the uni-assist portal. For more information on how to apply, visit the following websites:

The beginning of the lectures might be postponed for a few days or weeks. The winter semester 2021/2022 normally starts from 15.10.2021. The introduction week will take place on 18.10.2021 and the lecture period starts on 25.10.2021. It will be shortly announced, when the lectures for the Bachelor of Science in psychology will begin.

What specifications are there when applying for a Master program in department IV?

Regarding the Master’s programs of Applied Computer ScienceIMIT, Business InformaticsData Analytics you can find current information about the application process on the homepage of the department. If you have any further questions, please contact directly the department.


Can I postpone my study place to the summer semester 2022?

No, you can’t. You can either accept or reject the study place at the university. Furthermore, you can cancel the university place you have already accepted within the deadline, if you cannot enter the country because of travel restrictions. To do so, you must submit a waiver, renouncing the study place. If you want to start your studies in an upcoming semester, you have to apply again.



Enrolment: Can I get exempted from the semester ticket fee?

No, unfortunately not.


Enrolment: Can I get exempted from acquiring a health insurance?

Students under 30 years old must register to the German statutory health insurance (AOK). As long as the newly enrolled students from third countries are not present in Germany during their studies, they are excluded from paying insurance contributions.

However, from the moment you enter the country, you must register to the German statutory health insurance and pay the respective contributions, which cost approximately 110 € per month.

Have you been admitted to the University of Hildesheim and now must submit a health insurance certificate?

If you have more questions, please contact directly the Matriculation Office.



Where can I find more information about starting my studies in the Corona period?