Corona FAQ: Informationen für internationale Studieninteressierte zur Bewerbung für das SoSe 2022

Do you want to study at the University of Hildesheim and apply for the summer semester 2022?

International prospective students can find here the most recent information on the adjustments in the application process for the summer semester 2022 because of the coronavirus. We hope that this information and new adjustments will help you with your application for a place at our university. We look forward to receiving your application!

The following FAQ list is continuously updated and it’s not complete. Please understand that we cannot provide an answer to every question at this point and that some things are still being clarified. For more information, you can also read:

f you have more questions, you can use our online consultation hour.


Corona Update

Where can I get information about the Corona vaccination?

Everyone over the age of 12 can make an appointment for the Corona vaccination or take advantage of spontaneous vaccination offers on site. The Corona vaccination is offered by general practitioners, private practitioners and specialists nationwide. Since October 2021, health offices and hospitals have also been involved. In Hildesheim, the Helios Klinikum also offers you free initial, second and third vaccinations with the vaccines from Biontech and Moderna. For this, an appointment must be made on the website. 

Basic information on vaccination and testing is available here in several languages:  AlbanianArabicBosnian, Serbian and CroatianGermanEnglish, French, GeorgianKurdish (Sorani)Persian (Farsi)PolishRussianSomaliSpanishTigrinyaTurkishTwi

Under "Vaccinating against Corona" you will find a multilingual information service that answers many questions about vaccination. Topics include: Should you get vaccinated? How do vaccines work? What are the risks?

On the Federal Government's website you will also find videos that answer further questions about vaccination knowledge. In ten videos, medical experts answer questions about vaccination subtitled in English, Turkish and Arabic.


Where can I get up-to-date information on entering the country?

(Kopie 4)

[Translate to englisch:]

Grundsätzlich ist das deutsche Innenministerium für die Einreisebestimmungen nach Deutschland zuständig. Hier finden Reisende aktuelle Informationen, auch in englischer Sprache.

Informationen zur Einreise finden Sie auch auf den Seiten des Landkreis Hildesheim

Weiter sollten sich Reisende auf den Internetseiten des Auswärtigen Amtes über aktuelle Einreisebestimmungen informieren.

Registration in the district of Hildesheim compulsory for returning travellers from risk areas according to RKI

When entering Germany with a previous stay in a risk area, high incidence area or virus variant area within the last 10 days, travellers must

  • register prior to entry via and carry proof of this with them,
  • undergo testing for SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus infection before entry,
  • go to their destination immediately after entry into Germany, and 
  • isolate themselves there for 14 days (quarantine) if they have previously stayed in a virus-variant area. It is not possible to shorten the quarantine period. 
  • isolate yourself for 10 days if you have previously been in a high-incidence or high-risk area. A shortening of the quarantine period is possible by submitting a certificate of recovery or proof of vaccination to the competent authority (via the entry registration or to reiserueckkehrer(at)

Travellers can find further information on the website of the Federal Ministry of Health and on the website of the Federal State of Lower Saxony.

Info hotline State Health Office:

0511 4505555 (Monday to Thursday 8 a.m. to noon; Fridays 8 a.m. to noon).
Current information can be found on the website of the Hildesheim District Health Office.

Compliance with quarantine regulations is monitored by the local authorities. Violations can be punished with a fine.


What do I need to know about quarantine?

Anyone who has travelled to Lower Saxony (Hildesheim) from a virus variant area must remain in quarantine for 14 days (information on quarantine).

Anyone who has travelled to Lower Saxony (Hildesheim) from a high incidence area must remain in quarantine for 10 days (information on quarantine). A reduction is possible by sending proof of recovery or vaccination (The vaccine must be recognised in Germany.) to the competent authority (via the entry registration or to reiserueckkehrer(at)

Anyone who has travelled to Lower Saxony (Hildesheim) from a risk area must remain in quarantine for 10 days (information on quarantine​​​​​​​). A shortening is possible by sending a convalescent certificate, a vaccination certificate or a test certificate (PCR or antigen test) to the competent authority (via the entry application or to reiserueckkehrer(at)​​​​​​​).

It is very important that you spend the correct number of days in quarantine. 

The day you arrived in Germany is your arrival day. This means that you have to stay in quarantine for the 14 days after your arrival day. Example: You arrived in Hildesheim on 1 April, then you have to stay in quarantine until 15 April.

For quarantine, arrivals must go directly to their own home or other suitable accommodation immediately after entering the country. During quarantine, it is not permitted to receive visitors from persons who do not belong to your own household.

You will not receive a notice from the health authority after the quarantine. The 14-day quarantine cannot be shortened. 

Do I need an entry confirmation?

Because of the gradual lifting of the EU travel restrictions for travellers of third countries at the beginning of July 2020, international students and researchers can once again enter the country for study or research purposes. Until now, students and researches had to confirm in writing that their study or research program could not be completed from abroad.

Since the summer semester 2021 is allowed to be conducted through both online and in-person courses at the universities and the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the State in Federal Republic of Germany (KMK) has approved this practice according to the Federal Ministry of Internal Affairs (BMI) and the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), the students’ attendance is considered mandatory as soon as their university admission is submitted.

According to the BMI, the issuance of an additional, individual certificate of attendance by the universities is therefore no longer necessary as of September 11, 2020.

Corona Warning App

To eliminate the spread of the coronavirus, it is particularly important to break the chains of infection. The Corona Warn App commissioned and distributed by the German government can contribute to the virus containment. It also allows users to receive their corona test results quickly and alerts contact persons after a confirmed infection.  

You can download this app at the following link:

The university administration and the crisis team of the univeristy including the Staff council support the use of the Corona Warn App. The use of the App is voluntary. The use of the app will grant no advantages or disadvantages to the universities members.

Should I wear a mask in all buildings of the University?

From now on it is obligatory for students, employees and guests to wear a medical mask in all buildings of the University of Hildesheim (FAQ about masks).

This obligation applies in all university buildings, in the corridors, on the stairs, in the toilets, in the common areas (also at work desks) and in the event rooms. Different regulations may apply for office, work and meeting rooms as well as for approved face-to-face teaching events and examinations.

The measure is intended to protect health and help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Please behave responsibly.

Symptoms of Disease

The most common symptoms are fever over 38°C, cough, running nose, headache, aching limbs, fatigue, and scratchy throat. Some people experience a temporary loss of smell and taste, while others may develop pneumonia with shortness of breath.

However, most COVID-19 cases are mild, and many people experience no symptoms. As a result, people who feel healthy can infect others without knowing it. Therefore, you should always pay attention to the current measures summarized in the AHA rules: Keep your distance (minimum distance 1.5 meters), follow hygiene rules (cough and sneeze into your elbow or a tissue, wash your hands regularly), wear an everyday mask (in crowded or enclosed places).

Individuals affected by the coronavirus infection should contact their family doctor via phone to discuss how to proceed before going to the doctor's office.

You don't have a GP in Hildesheim yet? You can find doctors via the Lower Saxony doctor's directory.

Outside your GP's office hours, you can dial the number of the medical on-call service: 116117.

Your doctor will decide whether you should be tested for the coronavirus and whether you should be treated in hospital or as an outpatient because of your symptoms.

If you have been diagnosed with coronavirus but have no or only mild symptoms, you can recover from the infection at home. Reduce contact with other people to the minimum necessary. If you live in a household with others, try to isolate yourself if possible, for example by staying in a separate room. If possible, eat your food separately from the other members of the household. In addition, adhere particularly strictly to the general behavioural recommendations during the coronavirus pandemic (AHA formula). The health authority will decide when you can leave the isolation after you have recovered. In the case of a mild course, this is usually the case after about 14 days.


Who can I contact if I have more questions?

Do you have more questions on entering the country, on quarantine and the issuance of visa? Are you worried and want to know which regulations apply in your case?

We will be happy to advise you at the International Office. Due to the current situation, we do not provide advice in person to protect  both our and your health from the corona virus.

Thus, you can contact us by mail and express your concerns. If necessary, please let us know, whether you would like to talk on the phone or have web conference and discuss your questions. We will gladly arrange an appointment with you as soon as possible. You will find your contact person under Contacts. Please include your first and last name as well as your matriculation number to help us process your request more quickly and efficiently.


What does 3G mean?

Since Wednesday, 24.11.2021, all employees and students are only allowed to enter the university if they carry a proof in terms of the 3G rules (vaccinated, recovered, certified tested).

Their negative test proof must not be older than 24 h and must come from a certified testing centre. The possibility of self-testing, even under supervision, does NOT comply with these rules. However, as of now, testing facilities of an external provider are available again at Marienburger Platz. This means: For those who have not been vaccinated or have not recovered, a daily check of their negative test status is a prerequisite for access to the university. 

To keep your vaccination record with you in digital form, we recommend the CovPass app and the Corona Warn app. The RKI has compiled information on digital proof of vaccination and the apps here:

FAQ regarding your application in the summer semester 2022

Are there any changes in the application deadlines for the summersemester 2022?

You can find information on application deadlines in the tab "current application procedures":

Missed the deadline? Here, you will also find information on deadline extensions or random selection procedures.

We recommend applying early so that you have enough time for further steps such as enrolment, visa or finding accommodation.

When does the summer semester 2022 begin?

The summer semester 2022 starts on 04.04.2022 with the introduction week. The courses begin from 11.04.2022.

Due to the still existing health risk caused by the pandemic, some classes will be held online and some classes in person for the upcoming summer semester at the University of Hildesheim.  

However, the University of Hildesheim, as a brick-and-mortar university, aims to fully return to classroom teaching as soon as possible.

Which language certificate do I need to study at the University of Hildesheim?

You should submit one of the following C1 certificates until the end of the winter semester 2020/21, March 31, 2021:

  • TestDaF 4x4
  • DSH 2
  • DSD Stufe II
  • Telc C1 Hochschule
  • Goethe C2

This regulation applies to all Bachelor’s programs, and the majority of Master programs. For the following Master's programs, you will still need to submit one of the above C1 certificates:

  • Master in psychology
  • Master in social and organisational education
  • Master in environment, nature conservation and sustainable education

We kindly ask you to plan enough time for the acquisition of the German language certificate. Once the academic semester starts, you will hardly have any time to prepare for a language test.

If you are unable to submit a certified copy of the language certificate to the Marticulation Office by March 31, 2021, you will be exmatriculated.

Therefore, we suggest you to register for a German course and the respective exam as soon as possible. More specifically, you can find great offers from the period between June and September, which are provided both digitally from home and in classroom sessions in Hildesheim.

 Register now:

Which form should my application form have?

You do not need to submit certified copies for your application for the summer semester 2022.

You can easily create your application online via our online portal My uni-assist.

Find out more in the uni-assist FAQ.

Should I send my application per post?

No, you don’t have to send your application per post.

You can easily create your application online via our online portal My uni-assist.

Find out more in the uni-assist FAQ.

Will the entrance test of the Lower Saxony Preparatory Foundation Course take place?
How will the suitability test take place of the University of Hildesheim?

The suitability test of the University of Hildesheim takes place in a different form. For more information, click here.

For the sports suitability test you need to upload a “declaration on your suitability for swimming” as well as your “health suitability” (approved by a doctor) in German or English in the uni-assist portal.

How does the adaptation period work?

The application for the adaptation period is still conducted in writing as an informal written application. However, you don’t need certified copies. If you want to study the subject of German language, you need a C1 or C2 language certificate.


I want to start my Bachelor of Science in psychology. When should I apply? What should I keep in mind?

The application period for the Bachelor of Science in psychology lasts from 01.07-20.08.2021.

This Bachelor program takes part in the dialogue-oriented service procedure (DoSV) provided by This means that you must also enter your BID (Applicant ID) and BAN (Applicant authentication number) when applying the uni-assist portal. For more information on how to apply, visit the following websites:

The beginning of the lectures might be postponed for a few days or weeks. The winter semester 2021/2022 normally starts from 15.10.2021. The introduction week will take place on 18.10.2021 and the lecture period starts on 25.10.2021. It will be shortly announced, when the lectures for the Bachelor of Science in psychology will begin.

What specifications are there when applying for a Master program in department IV?

Regarding the Master’s programs of Applied Computer ScienceIMIT, Business InformaticsData Analytics you can find current information about the application process on the homepage of the department. If you have any further questions, please contact directly the department.


Can I postpone my study place to the summer semester 2022?

No, you can’t. You can either accept or reject the study place at the university. Furthermore, you can cancel the university place you have already accepted within the deadline, if you cannot enter the country because of travel restrictions. To do so, you must submit a waiver, renouncing the study place. If you want to start your studies in an upcoming semester, you have to apply again.



Enrolment: Can I get exempted from the semester ticket fee?

No, unfortunately not.


Enrolment: Can I get exempted from acquiring a health insurance?

Students under 30 years old must register to the German statutory health insurance (AOK). As long as the newly enrolled students from third countries are not present in Germany during their studies, they are excluded from paying insurance contributions.

However, from the moment you enter the country, you must register to the German statutory health insurance and pay the respective contributions, which cost approximately 110 € per month.

Have you been admitted to the University of Hildesheim and now must submit a health insurance certificate?

If you have more questions, please contact directly the Matriculation Office.



Where can I find more information about starting my studies in the Corona period?