Introduction to the Library
Inscription, user card
You can have a user card if you live in the Hildesheim district and are 16 years old. If you are not 18 years old, we will need your parents’ signature.
The price of the user card is 5 € for non-members of the university. You must complete our web form and pay at the circulation desk.
Students of the University of Hildesheim do not need an extra user card. They use the student card.
Students of the HAWK/ Fachhochschule can use the student card of the HAWK-library. They do not have to pay, but complete our web form.
You need an user card for:
- Borrowing books
- Getting internet access
- Copying and printing
- Using the card-operated lockers
Location and circulation
- Freihand (open-access area): the open-shelf bookstock is accessible for you on two floors.
- Magazin (stack room): the collection is in the stack room of the library. The titles will be on online order, Monday-Thursday before 16:00 h. and Friday before 14:00 h. They will be fetched from the stack room every hour and deposited at the circulation desk. The books ordered later than 16:00 h. will be fetched the next day (exept Saturday).
- Mediothek (media centre): the media are in the media centre of the library. Note the location mark. The staff of the media centre will deliver the media to you.
Books and other media can be borrowed for 30 days and the loan period can be extended four times (only when they are not reserved).
- User card: 5,00 €
- Interlibrary loan: 1,50 €
- 1st Reminder fee: 2 € per item
- 2nd Reminder fee: 5 € (plus the 1st reminder fee)
- 3rd Reminder fee: 10 € (plus the 1st and the 2nd feminder fees)
Loan period for books and media: 30 days
Unless the books, DVDs… you have borrowed have been reserved by somebody else, you can renew them up to four times through the online catalogue. You can renew them for a 5th time at the circulation desk.
Books, DVDs… can be returned at the circulation desk during its opening hours (Mo – Fr 09:00 to 21:00 and Sa 10:00 to 18:00). If the library is closed, you can return them at the returns-container (Rückgabe - Container) near to the front door.
The library sends you an E-Mail:
- When a reserved book, DVD is ready for you at the circulation desk.
- When an Inter-Library loaned book or article is ready at the circulation desk.
- Three days befor the books, DVDs… habe to be return.
- For the 1st and 2nd reminder fee. The Three one will arrive via ordinary mail.
Books, DVDs… on loan can be reserved through the online catalogue. Reserved titles are held for you at the circulation desk for one week. At the same time, a notice is send to you via Email.