|Pathways to invention|
Bender, Wolfgang (1991) Sweet Mother .Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
Kubik, Gerhard (1998) Kalimba – Nsansi – Mbira. Lamellophone in Afrika. With CD. Berlin: Museum für Völkerkunde
– (2002) Lamelofones do Museu Nacional de Etnologia. Book and CD in Portuguese and English. Lisboa: Museu de Etnologia
– (2010) Theory of African Music. Vol. 1 and 2. Chicago: University of Chicago Press
Malamusi, Moya Aliya (1990) “Nthano chantefables and songs performed by the bangwe player Chitenje Tambala”, South African Journal of African Languages. (Contributions in Honour of David Kenneth Rycroft), 10 (4):222-238)
– (1999) From Lake Malawi to the Zambezi. Aspects of Music and Oral Literature in South-East Africa in the 1990s. CD with pamphlet, pamap 602, LC 07203. Frankfurt – Mainz: Popular African Music/African Music Archive.
– (2008) “Musical bows in South-East Africa” in: Regine Allgayer- Kaufmann/Michael Weber eds.: African Perspectives: Pre-colonial History, Anthropology and Ethnomusicology. Vienna Series of Ethnomusicology. Frankfurt: P. Lang, pp. 163 – 177
– (2011) Endangered traditions – Endangered creativity a CD&DVD documentation by Moya A. Malamusi in Malawi. Compilation: Oral Literature Research Program, Chileka. Sponsored by Kulturreferat, Auswaertiges Amt, Berlin, Federal Republic of Germany. Frankfurt am Main: Popular African Music in cooperation with Centre for World Music, Stiftung Universitaet Hildesheim.
Rycroft, David (1961/62) “The guitar improvisations of Mwenda Jean Bosco” African Music 2 (4): 81-98 and 3 (1): 86-101
Schmidhofer, August ed. (2009) Central African Guitar Song Composers. The Second and Third Generation. Field recordings 1962 to now by Gerhard Kubik and research team. CD with liner notes. Vienna Series of Ethnomusicology. Vienna: Institute of Musicology.
Tracey, Hugh (1973) Catalogue of the Sound of Africa Recordings. 210 Long play records on music and songs from Central, Eastern and Southern Africa by Hugh Tracey, Vol. I and II. Roodepoort (South Africa): The International Library of African Music.